In Art lifestyle

Art Therapy X My Story



As I previously mentioned in my Life Update post, everything got west and it happened so rapid; it was one extreme event after another after another and I eventually built up the courage to admit I needed help of some kind.

I didn’t want to go down the medication route - instead I had ‘Cognitive Behavioural Therapy’ sessions; which are aimed on showing you practical ways to improve your mind state on a daily basis, by recognizing and learning to manage negative mental health patterns...ultimately changing the way you think and behave.



Counselling or Therapy really isn’t what you think, it’s more of a conversation without opinion based judgement; just being understood and asked the right questions to release the emotions which aids/begins the process of healing...it’s something you have to work through on your own nobody can ‘fix’ you, can only be guided in the process which is what CBT is all about.


Some of the most useful advice I was given was: 
Life’s like a heartbeat *or a rollercoaster if you like them* It goes up and down and there’s no magical cure for that but everything happens for a reason and without the downs you can’t appreciate the up’s!


Also there is 3 parts to everyday; morning, noon and evening – just because had a shit hour in the morning doesn’t mean it’s a bad day, you can have an amazing evening still...it’s all about changing your perspective! 


The first step of CBT was writing a list of worries and going through can you change it (no don’t worry, if yes – what can be done about it) and while that was helpful, my issue wasn’t just being worried; life was/had been on a negative spiral in every way possible and I didn’t know how to get back on track.

I felt it might be easier to portray through art what was going on/ the emotions as it was hard to explain wagwan sometimes...we spoke about art therapy which I could be doing in my own time to pair with the Cognitive Behavioural Therapy sessions.  


The combination of Art Therapy and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy was LIFE CHANGING!!! It’s amazing how effective it was for pin pointing what was going wrong exactly and how to change it. I really am eternally grateful, I wholeheartedly believed there was no way of turning my life back around.



SO, I guess that’s kinda how Cosmic Creative was started!

If you want to know how you can create your own art therapy pieces I have a post coming soon!

Till next time,

Stevie x 



Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment